Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tradition, unofficial and official

The UltraViolet Febuary 2008

Ever wonder what it’s like to have to walk down the halls with your back plastered against a wall, constantly checking over your shoulder, unable to trust anyone? In the game Assassin, nobody is your friend. Your friends are not even your friends. Little red stickers become the enemy, and I was more on time to classes in one day than I have been this entire semester. I secretly think that Assassin is a ploy that Ms. Moser is using to get us to classes on time, and to make sure that we actually stay on campus. Well, good job Ms. Moser because although I was sadly killed five minutes into lunch on Monday (standing RIGHT OUTSIDE the living room, our “safe zone”), I was on time to all-school meeting, and actually excited to attend class.

The unofficial traditions of being a senior are the types of things that have made my last year of high school special. Any grade can get together and play a game of Assassin, but the fact that it has become a “thing” second semester seniors do is what makes it exciting for us to participate in.

At Marlborough, everything seems to be a rite of passage – and not just the big ones either, like ring ceremony or pin ceremony – but smaller ones too. Especially your senior year, when it seems like everything transforms itself into some sort of tradition – the senior mother/daughter tea, lunch with Ms. Wagner, the “un”offical prom ditch day – even something as silly as heading down to Palm Springs in April with all of your friends to Coachella for three days. Everything is done now with a sense of “okay, this is it, now or never, we don’t get another shot next year.” It’s sad, but at the same time it’s also exciting.

Question: what sort of white is the appropriate white for our graduation shoes? These are the types of things that I think about now while I watch my little sister worry about her history test and English paper. Cream? Ivory? Off-white? This is really deep stuff you guys, I promise, especially when I couple it with my list of dresses that I want to buy for prom (hey, every girl needs to have options!) and figure out just how I can avoid getting sunburned while still enjoying the sun in Hawaii.

– Evan ’08

No comments:

Post a Comment