Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wake me up - I'm a senior?

The UltraViolet September 2007

Ever have one of those dreams that is so real and vivid, you are sure it has to be real? And it’s such a good dream too, that even when your alarm clock says 7:00 a.m. and you know that you have to be at school in 50 minutes, all you want to do is stay in bed and dream that same dream all day? Okay, now ever have one of those dreams where even though it’s really real and vivid, you just know that it can’t be real?

My entire first day of school was exactly like the second dream.

For the record, six years ago on my very first day at Marlborough, I honestly thought the seniors were at least 23 years old. Not only that, but there was nothing more frightening than the very first day at an all-girls school seeing boys dressed in skirts, patrolling the halls like they belonged here. This year when I had my best friend change into my skirt in the middle of the seventh grade locker hall, I couldn’t even begin to imagine what the seventh graders were thinking. Or if we’re really as scary as I thought the seniors were when I was a seventh grader – because, oh my God, I was terrified. Not only were they tall, but they all had cars and came to school with Starbucks. And not only was I in shock, but I was also in complete awe.

When I was in seventh grade, after that lovely trip to Catalina and those even lovelier wet-suits, I couldn’t imagine ever becoming a senior. Even this year I couldn’t imagine it until the first day I stepped onto campus. And the fact is, sitting in the car the other day talking to my friend Katie about graduation dresses and how neither of us has any pictures for our senior page, it still hasn’t dawned on me that this is it. We both want to just take Marlborough with us to college – except with members of the opposite sex, classes that start at 2:00 p.m. and the ability to wear flip-flops whenever we want.

However, this year has only just begun. And between filling out college applications that reach into the double digits, studying (once again, yippee!) for the SAT, pulling in excellent grades for the first semester and then good grades for the second one, finding pictures for my senior page and designing graduation dresses, I think it’s really important that we all just take a breath; if not, the year is going to get the better of us. So take a breath and memorize all of the steps to the Soulja Boy dance, of course.

– Evan ’08

No comments:

Post a Comment