Thursday, January 15, 2009

Senioritis kicks in

the UltraViolet December 2007

I’m going to make a confession right here for everybody to read – it’s getting more and more difficult to open my books every night and focus on schoolwork. YouTube music videos, magazines that are six months old, making ‘what I want to bring to college’ lists and even shiny objects are becoming increasingly distracting.

And I know that there is no cure for Senioritis. There should be though; some little white pill that we could take whenever we feel ourselves straying off into the land of “Gossip Girl” and reading old text messages we have saved onto our cell phones from boys we once had crushes on. I’m not quite sure how to handle the fact that in less than three weeks I will officially be a second semester senior. It’s so anti-climactic when you sit down and think about it – six years for one semester, and now that it’s around the corner I stare dumbfounded at the John Mayer poster on my wall wondering just what I’m supposed to do. I remember seeing seniors when I was in seventh grade strut down the halls wearing flip flops and regular V-neck t-shirts, and thinking that they were more badass than James Dean in “Rebel Without a Cause” – but now I can’t help but wonder if they were thinking the same thing I am now: “So, I’m a second semester senior… now what?” It would be nice if there were a handbook on how to navigate the last few months of school, which is fewer than 100 days, according to someone’s planner I saw yesterday. Prom, graduation, grad night, the trip to Hawaii, and finally large and small white envelopes that have already begun to arrive in our mailboxes. Oh and what about that amazing Mascot presentation, hmm? How surreal it was to listen to our moms sing to us about growing up and moving out, and knowing that these are the last couple of months that we all will be sleeping in our own beds and arguing constantly with our siblings on a nightly basis. As the New Year slowly creeps up upon us, and the final deadline for all applications are due, it’s a real shock to realize that for every single one of us, this happens to be the beginning of the end.

– Evan ’08

No comments:

Post a Comment